At Rumours, we are passionate about serving a fantastic range of delicious, flavoursome, authentic coffees. But how well do you know coffee? Here are some fun facts about coffee to enjoy over your next brew!
• London’s very first coffee house opened in 1654. These quickly became hugely popular places to meet, unwind and catch up on the latest gossip. Within 10 years, another 3,000 had opened.
• Coffee has become the world’s favourite beverage, with more than 2 billion cups consumed every day.
• Coffee is grown in 50 countries, but Brazil is the most important, providing 40% of the world’s coffee beans.
• Cappuccino was named after Capuchin friars because the colour of the coffee resembled that of their robes.
• Weirdly, adding cream to coffee helps it stay warm for longer, because it slows down the rate at which the coffee evaporates.
• There are two main types of coffee bean, Arabica and Robusta. The delicate flavour of Arabica means it is the most popular, while Robusta beans contain more caffeine.
• The name Espresso comes from Italian and literally means “pressed-out” coffee.
• A French doctor of the 17th century suggested giving Café Au Lait to patients. This prompted people to start adding milk to coffee for the first time.
• In 1943, a chef in Limerick wanted to create something special to cheer up some cold and weary American air travellers – and, hey presto, Irish Coffee was invented.
At Rumours, we provide a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere for you to enjoy your favourite coffee, made exactly how you like it, and using delicious beans roasted here in Cornwall by Cornico Coffee Company. Our friends at Cornico specialise in coffees that are ethically traded, with some blends being Fairtrade, Organic and Rainforest Alliance. And that’s also a fact!